13 November 2019

LAST WEEK IN LONDON 2019





As we are finishing up our last week of classes with papers due, presentations in classes, and an acting final, we have found time to run around and catch some last minute plays.  Last week my friend, Paul Dutro, visited from Germany along with my other friend, Andrea Brunelli from Verona, Italy, whom I haven't seen in many years.  I met Andrea in 2001 just after 9/11 happened.  Andrea on 9/11 was on his way to Dallas, Texas to "realize his dream of going to America."  It didn't happen.  His plane was diverted to Gander, Newfoundland where he stayed for four or five days sleeping on a church pew.  His mother told him to come back to Italy as soon as the plane took off.  So he came to Garmisch, Germany where I was visiting Paul.  His next trip to America was to Winona!!!!  That is a whole other story!!!  So Paul took Andrea and I to see the musical, Come From Away.  It was my third time seeing it.  Awesome!  Andrea relived a lot of his experience there.  Paul and I have seen some other shows.  We both won the lottery for The Book of Mormon and sat in the front row for 20 pounds for last Wednesday's matinee.  Great seats!  The students, Paul and I went to see The Antipodes by Annie Baker at the National Theatre and the Royal Shakespeare Company's production of Taming of the Shrew where they gender bent the cast at the Barbican for the Page to Stage class.  It was AWFUL!!!  We had a good discussion on both those plays in class yesterday. 


Paul and I got up at 6 am to get in line for tickets to Dear Evan Hansen which is in previews.  25 pounds!  Great seats.  I loved the musical.  It was way better than what I expected.  I still have issues with the ending.  No consequences.  This is typical of our society today isn't it?  Great singing, acting, set, etc.  Paul and I also got tickets on closing night for Lungs at the Old Vic.  Matt Smith and Claire Foy were brilliant!  Love them both from The Crown.  Jen got their autographs and a picture of Matt Smith, but I couldn't download it onto the blog.   Tomorrow we are going to see Botticelli in the Fire at the Hamstead Theatre.  Paul saw it the other day and raved about it.  He is seeing it again.  On Thursday we are going to see Agatha Christie's play Witness for the Prosecution which was recommend to us by some of the students.  It is being done in the County Hall Courthouse!!!!



Trees lit on the South Bank.



Sir Ian McKellen was gracious enough to take a photo with all of us including the woman in the white coat behind me who slide her way into our picture.  His one-man show was incredible.  A highlight this semester.

He was collecting money to donate to charities.  He has been touring this show performing in 80 theatres around Great Britain to celebrate his 80th Birthday.  All money made over the cost of producing the play is being donated to various groups.

Aside from the plays I have mentioned that we see for classes, the students this semester have been seeing tons of theatre.  Here is a small list of some of the plays. Magic Mike Live!, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, 9 to 5, Everybody's Talking About Jamie, I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change, The Green Fairy, Mama Mia, Hamilton, Friendsical, Wicked, Falsettos, Torch Song Trilogy, Waitress, Book of Mormon, This is Living, Actually, A Doll's House, A Comedy about a Bank Robbery, Noises Off, Preludes, Mousetrap, Priscilla: Queen of the Desert, The Man in the White Suit, & Juliet, Phantom of the Opera, War Horse, Soho Cinders, King Gong at The Comedy Store, Sh*t-Faced Shakespeare, Once on this Island, Bitter Wheat, Styx, Skin in the Game, The Life I Lead, Ordinary Days, Translations, Twelfth Night, The Great Gatsby immersion experience, Games for Lovers, Equus,  and various shows at The Comedy Club.   These are just some of the plays they have seen.  Some great. Some not so good. West End, Off-West End and Fringe!   I am thrilled that they are seeing a lot of theatre on their own!




Students have also gone to The Tower of London, Westminster Abbey, The London Eye, Saint Paul's Cathedral and many, many museums.  Here are some pictures for Madame Tussauds Wax Museum.




This week I was able to cook a Greek dinner for a few of my friends. Joyce Rae a dear friend and former agent cooks me a great meal every year.  I finally got to pay her back.  Jonathan and Alise Kennedy are some of my oldest friends in London.  I was Johathan's best man at their wedding. Jonathan is now head of all the arts and culture in India.  He happened to come home this week for a week.  Alise is in school studying jewelry making.  The three of them know Paul Dutro so it was nice to have them all together on Sunday.

We started with Greek appetizers.  The Greek egg-lemon chicken soup.  Greek Roast Chicken with oven roasted potatoes, carrots, onions.  Broccoli.  A Greek salad we didn't eat because we were so full.  I made a Greek rice pudding and had Greek pastry. However, some students came over and ate the left overs later that night!  I always cook too much food!  Hey I'm Greek.  That's what we do!!!



The soup.

The appetizers.

Was given this pin which pretty much sums up Brexit.  A Big Mess!!!

If you remember from the Salvation Road blog, the students built a double decker bus out of legos and presented it to me at the cast dinner.  Inside the bus were all the students, Judy, and myself.  Below are photos of us with our lego counterparts!  A great way to end our 12 weeks in London!!!!



Ahnika!


Nick!


Marlee!


Julia!


Ryan

 Anna!

 John!

 Arielle!


 Hanna!



 Jen!

 Amanda!

 Billy!


Moi!



Thursday is the last day of classes.  Friday everyone is packing and cleaning up the flats.  On Saturday some students are travelling to Europe or going home.  Nine of the students will be studying acting at the Gaiety School of Acting, Ireland's premiere acting school for two weeks.  A two-week intensive program.  Billy is also going to Ireland but will be travelling around the country and meeting us in Dublin when the students do their final showcase.  Safe travels everyone!  I will be posting blogs on our Ireland Adventures.  Wonder if I will buy another hand made Irish sweater that I don't need?  Stay tuned!

CHEERS!      THAT'S ALL FOLKS!!!

No comments: