28 November 2008

Sad News about Roger Frith

We are saddened to hear that Roger Frith, our lighting designer in London, is in a coma and will not come out of it. Below I have attached an email from his wife, Joyce, explaining what happened after his 11 hour surgery to remove a cancerous tumor in his mouth. All of our students have become close to Roger so I wanted everyone to get the same news. In tribute to Roger we all went to his favorite hang out, Wibbas Downs, the Weatherspoon's pub, in Wimbledon after we saw the ballet, Edward Scissorhands. We toasted Roger and thought of all the good times we had with him this semester. Tim and Shannon also worked with Roger on other shows he was working on. I will keep everyone informed as far as any further developments.

Here is Joyce's email:

Forgive me if I have already sent this information but I am getting rather muddled as to whom I have spoken and when.
I think most of you know that Rog came through an 11 hour operation for mouth cancer on Monday 17th Nov really well. Sadly, he had a massive relapse on Thursday 20th. He got a large blood clot in his throat which closed his airways. He stopped breathing and his heart stopped. They brought him round but at great cost. The brain was starved of oxygen for too long and he is now in a coma and has no brain function. My beautiful husband is lying in intensive care unable to respond to anything at all. All we are doing now is waiting. They have taken him off all life support machines and are keeping him as comfortable as possible. They are looking after him so well - they even gave him shave so he looked nice. I think they are intending to send him to the ward when they have a private room available so that we have privacy and dignity.
It is all too awful to talk about - I felt I had to tell you all to warn you of the inevitable consequences. Louise and I are surviving somehow or the other and everybody has been wonderful. Please do not send me any more flowers but do write if you wish. I can just about cope now with email and cards but I am not brilliant on the phone. If you feel you know somebody who is not on this list should be informed then please pass on the message for me.
My love to you all - Joycie x



At Weatherspoons...Roger's favorite hang out






Please keep Roger and Joyce in your prayers.


No comments: